A Center of Excellence for Orthopaedics and Patient Care.
It is our mission at Capital Region Orthopaedics to provide excellent patient care and deliver the most advanced level of orthopaedics to the patients of our region. Our physicians and surgeons are fellowship-trained subspecialists in the fields of sports medicine, hand and upper extremity surgery, foot and ankle surgery, spine surgery, joint reconstruction, physiatry, and orthopaedic oncology. We take great pride in providing the full spectrum of orthopaedic care, ranging from non-invasive treatments and minimally invasive operative techniques, to the most complex surgical reconstructions. Our state of the art facility allows our patients access to all of their orthopaedic needs under one roof including physical therapy, diagnostics such as MRIs and CT scans, and if surgery is needed, Capital Region Ambulatory Surgery Center. The six operating rooms of the surgery center are staffed by a highly trained group of orthopaedic nurses. They help guide our patients through every step of their surgery, including pre-admission testing and pre-operative care, to post-operative care in the recovery room. Many of our patients are able to have outpatient surgery at the surgery center and be back in the comfort of their own home the same day. Our orthopaedic surgeons are also the sole providers of orthopaedic care at Albany Medical Center, which serves as a tertiary care center for the most complicated injuries being referred from surrounding hospitals in upstate New York.
Dr. James Dougherty came to Albany, New York after completing residency
at the University of Chicago in 1956. He joined the practice of Drs.
Campbell, Clark, and Kamen. Dr. Campbell, at the time, was first
Chairman of the Division of Orthopaedics at Albany Medical Center (AMC).
In early 1959 Dr. Dougherty became Chairman of Orthopaedics at SUNY-
Upstate (Syracuse). In later 1959, he returned to Albany for personal
reasons to begin a solo orthopaedic practice. Dr. Brian Quinn, also from
the University of Chicago, joined Dr. Dougherty in 1963 as an
associate. The two independent orthopaedic practices operated out of a
single house on West Lawrence Street for the next 20 years.
The Modern Era
The "modern era" of the group began in 1979. Over the next 10 years,
Drs. Jeffrey Lozman (1979), John Czajka (1982), Richard Alfred (1988),
and Robert Hedderman (1990) joined Dr. Dougherty. All were from the AMC
orthopaedic surgery residency program. By 1983, more space was required,
and the two practices moved to larger, more commercial quarters
(Executive Park/Stuyvesant Plaza).
In 1991, Drs. David Quinn and Brian Quinn both joined Dr. Dougherty's
group, which became Capital Region Orthopaedic Associates (CROA). With
the addition of Dr. Max Alley (1994), space needs for the nine surgeons
resulted in our building a 17,000 square foot facility for orthopaedics
in 1994 (Western Ave.). That same year, Clinical Professor Dr. Dougherty
retired from active practice.
Between 1994 and 1999, CROA grew steadily with the accrual of Drs. Marc
Fuchs (1996), Robert Cheney (1996), James Schneider (1997), and Richard
In 1999, two years of discussions with AMC culminated in an
affiliation of the Center with CROA. The arrangement essentially
out-sourced the management of clinical orthopaedics to CROA, melding the
practices of full-time AMC orthopaedic faculty with those of the CROA
physicians to create The Orthopaedic Group of 18 orthopaedic surgeons.
AMC Division of Orthopaedics (year Physician was appointed to AMC Orthopaedic Staff)
Dr. Richard Uhl, Chief (1990)
Dr. Paul Hospodar (1994)
Since The Affiliation with AMC
Since the affiliation with AMC, other orthopaedists have joined on
both sides of the practice: Drs. Shankar Das (1999), John DiPreta
(2001), Daniel Phelan (2004), Andrew Dubin (2006), Anjum Iqbal (2006),
Jon Toussaint (2006), Jordan Lisella (2007), Kaushik Bagchi (2008),
George Zanaros (2008), Todd Shatynski (2008), Andrew Gerdeman (2009),
Michael Mulligan (2009), Joachim Tenuta (2011), and Jared Roberts
(2011). The collective name evolved to Capital Region Orthopaedics.
In the mid-1990's, the group began consideration, planning, and
construction of a unique Center dedicated to musculoskeletal problems
and their care. The eventual result of these efforts was the opening in
November, 2000 of the Bone & Joint Center. This five-story, 100,000
square foot facility incorporates:
Capital Region Orthopaedics
Capital Region Spine
Capital Region Ambulatory Surgery Center
Capital Region Orthopaedic Imaging
Division of Orthopaedics, AMC
Center for Rheumatology
AMC Imaging / MRI, CT
Nicolla Physical Therapy
Hanger Orthotics & Prosthetics
Mrs. Sunshine's Cafe
A 120-seat auditorium and state-of-the-art audiovisual capability are central to our mission promoting education.
By enabling us to reach, and teach, a diverse audience from the general
public to orthopaedic sub-specialists, from the local community to an
international community, the Bone & Joint Center is the foundation
of what will become the "future history" of the Group.